A MIDWIFE carries a newborn to a forest cave. It’s 527AD. NIMUEH, the sorceress, waits there to cast a spell, encasing the child in a crystal tomb, as she did to his father, Merlin. Nimueh kills the midwife to hide her secret.
NARRATOR: Rachel Rain Packota
Carolyn: Vanessa Burns
Edward: Jason Gray
Midwife: Stephanie Haines
Nimueh: Olivia Jon
Get to know the writer:
- What is your screenplay about?
It’s the story of Tal, a young man with a magical heritage, the son of the Magician Merlin, who finds that after hiding his magic for most of his life, realizes that he must do battle with the sorceress that trapped his father and has tried throughout history to conquer England by allying herself with those who sought to invade her. Now, she has allied herself with the Nazi’s and only Tal, his friend Arthur and his RAF wing, four dragons, and his father Merlin stand in the way of an invasion.
- What genres does your screenplay fall under?
War/ Historical, Fantasy
- Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
The film blends together World War II and the knights of the round table. There are scenes of war and scenes of magic, and the friendship that develops between two very different young men. It is a movie where good overcomes evil. But most of all, it is the story of a young man finding his personal strengths and the magical warrior within himself.
- How would you describe this script in two words?
- What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
- How long have you been working on this screenplay?
- How many stories have you written?
25 – 30
- What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
“Here I Am”
- What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Combining actual events with Urban /Rural legends that got their start in WW II, along with the Welsh Language, and combing the German war archives for battle plans.
- Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Grower and breeder of Orchids, Roses, and Plumeria. Avid reader.
- You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
On the whole, I have been very pleased, with their timeliness and professionalism. It also is good for keeping track of those festivals that you’ve entered.
- What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Have always been a fan of Sci-Fi/ Fantasy since I was a kid. After writing the script for ‘Dragonsong,’ was looking for a film festival that could appreciate it. Have found the feedback that I received to be very informative and gave me many ideas that I have set to practice, not only in this script, but in others that I’ve written since.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson
Camera Operator: Mary Cox